In Central Oregon, fostering an inclusive and supportive community involves recognizing the unique challenges faced by individuals living with learning, psychological, and physical disabilities. By understanding their unique needs and providing appropriate services, we can ensure that everyone involved has the opportunity to thrive!
Understanding Common Disabilities
Learning disabilities encompass a range of conditions that affect an individual’s ability to acquire, process, and retain information effectively. Conditions like dyslexia, dysgraphia, and attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) fall under this category. Individuals with learning disabilities often struggle with reading, writing, math, and organization.
Resource: Learning Disabilities Association of America (https://ldaamerica.org/)
Physiological disabilities involve mental health conditions that impact emotions, thoughts, and behaviors. Conditions such as depression, anxiety disorders, bipolar disorder, and schizophrenia fall under this category. These disabilities can affect an individual’s daily functioning, relationships, and overall quality of life.
Resource: National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) – Central Oregonhttps://namicentraloregon.org/home/nami-programs/education/
Physical disabilities result from impairments in mobility, dexterity, or other physical functions. Conditions like cerebral palsy, multiple sclerosis, and spinal cord injuries fall under this category. These disabilities can impact an individual’s independence and require special accommodation.
Available Resources in Central Oregon
1. Education and Support
· At Central Oregon Collective, we focus on several services to educate families and our community and help individuals with disabilities.
We organize inclusive community events that encourage individuals of all abilities to come together and enjoy various activities that provide a safe and welcoming space for people with physical and psychological disabilities to socialize, participate in recreational activities, and build connections within the community.
Workshops, classes, and training sessions that cater to a diverse range of abilities are available and accessible. These sessions may focus on arts and crafts, fitness, mindfulness, and more!
Our website offers a hub of information about our mission, events, and resources. Our hope is to be a valuable resource for individuals seeking information about upcoming events, opportunities for engagement, and ways to get involved in our initiatives.
· Central Oregon Disability Support Network. (https://www.codsn.org/) This network provides information, resources, and support for individuals with disabilities as well as their families.
2. Accessibility and Accommodations
· The Central Oregon Collective is committed to raising awareness about disability-related issues and advocating for inclusivity and accessibility in the local Central Oregon community.
· Oregon Disabilities Commission (https://www.oregon.gov/odhs/Pages/default.aspx) advocates for people with disabilities, promoting accessible environments, employment, and community engagement.
3. Mental Health Support
· One of the key aspects of the Central Oregon Collective is the sense of community we foster. We aim to connect individuals with disabilities to each other, creating a peer support network where they can share experiences, challenges, and successes.
· Deschutes County Behavioral Health (https://www.deschutes.org/health/page/behavioral-health) offers crisis intervention, counseling, and support for mental health concerns.
4. Adaptive Recreation and Activities
· The Central Oregon Collective collaborates and partners with other local groups, businesses, and organizations to expand our impact and provide a comprehensive range of resources and opportunities for individuals with disabilities. The larger the support system, the better!
· Oregon Adaptive Sports (https://oregonadaptivesports.org/) offers adaptive sports and outdoor recreational opportunities for individuals with disabilities.
5. Employment and Vocational Services
· Oregon Department of Human Services offers vocational rehabilitation (https://www.oregon.gov/odhs/vr/Pages/default.aspx) that assists individuals with disabilities and in finding meaningful employment opportunities.
Central Oregon’s commitment to inclusivity and support for individuals with disabilities is evident through the array of resources available to the community. Whether it’s providing education and support, ensuring accessibility and accommodations, or offering mental health assistance and adaptive recreational activities, these resources empower individuals to overcome challenges and lead fulfilling lives.
As residents of Central Oregon, it’s our collective responsibility to create an environment where everyone can thrive regardless of their abilities. By utilizing these resources and spreading awareness, we can contribute to a more inclusive and compassionate community that uplifts and supports everyone’s unique journey.
Remember, advocating for inclusivity and support is an ongoing effort. By staying informed, volunteering, and participating in disability-related events, we can make a positive impact and continue building a better future for all members of our community.